HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

CDs distribution.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diabolus in Musica

PostSubject: CDs distribution.   2010-03-30, 3:05 pm

Hello,

I think that a discussion about CDs distribution can have some interest.
What do you think? Is it easy for you to find Philippe Jaroussky's new releases in your country or city? And what about the old ones?
What kind of stores sells this CDs where you live (little shops, megastores...)? Or do you prefer to buy it through internet?
Do you think his CDs should have a better distribution?
These are only some examples of questions to start with.

Lets exchange some opinions!!!
Best regards,

Diabolus in Musica.
Back to top Go down
LydianAirs

PostSubject: Re: CDs distribution.   2010-03-31, 7:07 am

Here in southern California (I think in many places in the U.S.) classical music CDs (also jazz) are disappearing from stores, and are mostly bought online - this includes Philippe's recordings, of course. In fact, most of the big CD mega stores like Virgin, Tower Records, etc. have closed - they can't compete with online shopping and downloading. Only the most profitable pop music sells in stores (usually discount places like Walmart). I buy all of Philippe's CDs online, and sometimes I order them from European websites like fnac to get them faster - they are released in the US later than in Europe, and I don't like waiting! (I had to buy the special edition of Dolce Fiamma from France because the US Amazon sent me the wrong one.) I think CDs should be released in all the countries simultaneously, but there are probably some legal reasons restricting this.

But the funny thing is, I found the Lamenti CD here in a small local Borders Bookstore with a very tiny CD section! That was very unexpected. I wonder how much the availability in stores depends on the knowledge of the managers and sales people of the store, who choose to stock the CDs, and how much is just the result of EMI/Virgin's distribution and supply?

Unfortunately, the worst obstacle to Philippe's popularity in the US, is the lack of exposure on classical radio (now I'm going a little bit off-topic here...) Here in southern California there's one major classical station, KUSC, but they almost never play vocal music, except for a few hours of opera (nearly always Verdi or Puccini) a few times a week, or sacred music on Sunday mornings. I know that in France, whenever they play his older CDs on the radio (like Beate Virgine or Vivaldi Cantatas) it produces an increase in his Amazon sales rankings! But US classical radio stations have a sort of rule about playing only instrumental music, and this is preventing the best means of promoting Philippe's recordings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs distribution.   2010-03-31, 9:48 am

LydianAirs Here in the UK, it’s not classical music CDs that are disappearing. It’s classical CD shops that are endangered species. My local shop, where you could browse for hours and talk to the owner about any composers or performers, finally closed down last year. Some of the large stores like HMV have a small area for what they call ‘classical’ but unless you want Pavarotti or ‘Piano music for dinner party’ sort of things, it’s pointless going there. BBC Radio3 is a classical music station and publish in their website all the details of what they play, which is very useful if you want to buy the CD, and they play fair amount and a wide range of vocal works. Even so, in the last three months, I have heard Philippe twice, both in the morning programme which people listen to while they are getting ready to go to work or having breakfast. The lack of exposure is definitely the obstacle here too. On top, I don’t think I’m too wrong in saying that, in the UK, countertenor is still largely synonymous to Andreas Scholl. It will be very interesting to see how things go after the Barbican concert in December.

Back to CD distribution, for most of us in the UK, there is no alternative but buying online.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: CDs distribution.   2010-03-31, 4:05 pm

Well, some big cities like Berlin here in Germany, are lucky still to have the Virgin Megastore or another one, Kulturkaufhaus Dussmann for example. That one is the true Paradis for all the classical music fans ( also even for us, Baroque species)....That place was just magical for me because of my first live meeting Philippe there - quite by chance, in the section "Early Music". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It was on 22. March 2008. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All the other common towns ( like mine, though my town is an "Musician" one) are not in the same good condition, pity. The most of classical music will be selled in the big markets in the "Media- sections" and they have really seldom Philippe´s CD´s there. Sometimes , only by "Saturn" music section, the CD´s like "Opium " and "Carestini". If you want to have one special edition , you could order it, but it would take the same time as if you order online.
So I prefer to order online. He he, but my Ferrari - CD, the most rare, I bought absolutely by chance by "Karstadt" some years ago - it was a very good luck indeed!
Back to top Go down
karenpat

PostSubject: Re: CDs distribution.   2010-03-31, 10:29 pm

I don't think I've seen any of Philippe's CDs in regular music stores. The largest music store in Norway, Platekompaniet, has a classical section but the size varies from store to store. They usually make Norwegian artists a priority so if the classical section in one of the stores is small it's all filled up with Arve Tellefsen, Leif Ove Andsnes, Truls Mørk and Solveig Kringlebotn. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] There was a classical only music store in Oslo that I used to frequent, it was run by a friend of a friend of mine, but sadly he's out of business now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've bought all of my Philippe CDs from either amazon.co.uk or iTunes, and now I only buy music there. (In addition to Play.com which I recently discovered).
Back to top Go down
http://www.karen-patricia.com
NoteSensible

PostSubject: Re: CDs distribution.   2010-04-23, 9:59 pm

I live in a small french town where you can find classical music CDs in only one store but I always have found Philippe's CDs without any problem.
I have to notice that there was even advertising on the TV for JC Bach album and it's very rare for classical music in France. Only Cecilia is so lucky !
Of course, if you want a special edition, you'll get it better on Amazon for example.
Back to top Go down

CDs distribution.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1