HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

Giulio Cesare in Egitto

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
temp

PostSubject: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   28th April 2013, 21:12

I apologise if this has been posted elsewhere but I’ve just found this in Andreas Scholl’s site.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Andreas Scholl has confirmed that a recording of the Bartoli/Salzburg 2012 production of Giulio Cesare in Egitto will be released in 2013.

Cecilia Bartoli as Cleopatra
Andreas Scholl as Giulio Cesare
Anne Sofie von Otter as Cornelia
Philippe Jaroussky as Sesto
et al
Il Giardino Armonico, conducted by Giovanni Antonini
Decca, 3 CDs

Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   28th April 2013, 22:26

Thanks a lot! This is really good news!! Let's hope for a DVD also!
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   28th April 2013, 23:03

Oh my, great news!! I'm so happy about that. Yesterday I watched the HD transmission of Giulio Cesare from the MET. Alice Coote was Sesto, and even though she was great I couldn't enjoy her rendition because I couldn't take Philippe's Sesto from my head!! Anyone watched that retransmision?
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   28th April 2013, 23:33

I watched it too, Pilar. I love the McVicar production but I was very sad to note the vocal decline of David Daniels, particulary noticable in Cesare's entrance aria "Presto omai l'Egizia terra". He was never one of my favourites but it made me sad nevertheless. I hope he was just having an "off night". I'm a great admirer of Alice Coote but she seems to have put on a bit of weight since I last saw her and my immediate reaction was "OMG, a pear-shaped Sesto". She was great anyway but I was still nostalgic for the Beautiful Ephebe!

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   28th April 2013, 23:48

I agree about D. Daniels, he looked fantastic in that role, but his voice sounded a bit small. I can't forget Sarah Connolly in the same role, she was fantastic and a very handsome Cesar!!

Dessay was fantastic, very witty and funny. She was so brave because she had to sing and dance, and after all De Niese is a very sexy Cleopatra, so being compared to her it has to be tough. Dessay obviously is much better singer and actress. Watching this production with Dessay made me understand how good she was over her predecessor.

The production is just amazing, very funny and rich, totally different from Salzburg 2012's one, to say the less... I particulary enjoyed the role of Nireno and the fabulous dresses. My favourite singer was Dumaux, who was excellent, his Ptolomeo gets better and better. But, this production only lacks Philippe to be perfect! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 00:15

Yes, Pilar, somehow Sarah Connolly seems to be so much more masculine than either Daniels or Scholl and she's by far my favourite Cesare - although I would like to see Christophe Dumaux doing it - it's in his repertoire and he has sung it on stage. Christophe was definitely the star of this production. He's fast becoming everybody's favourite Tolomeo. He once said in a rare interview that he identifies with Tolomeo - I'm not sure what that says about Christophe! scary

Nireno was adorable and I loved his Bollywood-style dance routine for "Se perde un momento" - complete with back-up dancers! I thought Patricia Bardon was excellent as Cornelia too. She actually gave Cornelia an unexpected moment of humour when she shot Tolomeo a "You must be joking" look when he was coming on to her ... Laughing

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 09:32

temp

MANY many THANKS for the great news!!!!!!!!!!! flowers fans happy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 10:47

I listen to the Met production on BBC Radio3 which made me yarn for Philippe’s Sesto, so I was very glad to find this news. I hope this is a real confirmation and not someone’s misunderstanding. There is no mention of it on Cecilia Bartoli’s website yet.

As I only had the sound to go by, I was quite shocked by David Daniel’s singing: with no visual effects to distract my attention from the voice, the first aria was almost painful to listen to.

As Artemis says, Christopher D. will make a very good Cesare but then, who will be Lydia/Cleopatra? I can’t imagine Christopher’s Cesare will be so easily fall for a pretty maid.

And for Sesto… was is also Artemis who said that ‘a mezzo in pants will never do again’? How very true. Alice Coote was great as a singer but, especially on the radio, she was so unmistakably a woman.

Just a thought: do you think Philippe will ever sing Cesare?
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 10:59

Hummm, I hope Dumaux's identification with Ptolomeo is just a way of talking!! However I would love to see Philippe as Cesar, I'm so much in love with the arias he sang in Lübeck with Invernizzi. I'm sure he would do a great Cesar.

Concerning Alice Coote, I found her so great but after Philippe the deluge...
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 12:21

Pilar,

Here's the interview with the lovely Christophe .... he, he, I think I'll leave it to you to figure out what he means!

A.
Back to top Go down
Nenuphar

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 16:20

Pilar and Artemis,
I totally agree with your view of the Met performance (I loved to watch it on the big screen in the cinema, but... agree

Concerning Christophe Dumaux and his identification with Ptolomeo: Could anybody imagine Philippe singing and identifying with that role??? surprised
But Christophe is really great in it!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 16:33

Nenuphar,

Philippe HAS sung the rôle of Tolomeo and I'm still trying to get my head round that fact ...stars He was very young at the time, though. I think if Philippe identifies with any of his rôles, it has to be Sesto. I certainly hope he doesn't identify with Nerone ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Nenuphar

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 17:07

Artemis,
uff, I didn't know that..... no
Are there any videos about it? (I just made a quick check at YT, but couldn't find anything)
Anyhow - thank you for the info!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 17:20

Nenuphar,

As far as I know, there are no videos. I think the performance was in Nancy in 2007 and I'm sure I've seen a picture of Philippe lying face down on a leopard skin - oh dear - I shouldn't have brought this up! stars

Perhaps you could "Google" something like "Jaroussky, Nancy, Tolomeo" you might be able to find it.

A.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 17:38

I think I've found it!

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 19:14

Nenuphar
Artemis

We´re speaking about his Tolomeo already here ( it was March 2007 in Nancy, yes ))):

And the certain photo .....ARGH..........( who ´d also kill for this video??? )

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   29th April 2013, 23:37

I would, Jana, I would.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   30th April 2013, 11:21

It's a real pity that there is no video of this opera...
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   2nd May 2013, 18:51

Another production , we will never see....

"Il ritorno d´Ulisse in patria" by Monteverdi in Berlin, February 2005.

Quote :
Dernièrement à Berlin, j’avais à peine arrivé à une répétition que le metteur en scène me lance:
«Allonge-toi. Il va te violer. Et puis une autre nana va te violer à son tour.»
Je suis souvent bloqué par ma pudeur ; j’ai donc besoin d’un metteur en scène qui sache me mettre en confiance. Mais bon, un long temps de répétition permet de trouver ses marques, de souder une équipe, et de débloquer bien des choses.
L'opéra permet d'aller plus loin dans ce travail avec le corps grâce à ce temps-là, celui qui permet la maturation d'un rôle, et parfois, de libérer certaines inhibitions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by *JaRoWi1647* on 2nd May 2013, 21:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   2nd May 2013, 20:40

All those things we will never see... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   31st March 2014, 10:29

Help!  Information needed!  SOS   I bought a totally unrelated Deutsche Grammaphon/Decca DVD recently.  It came with a booklet listing other DG/Decca DVDs.  The following was listed under "New in 2013" -

Handel: Giulio Cesare
Cecilia Bartoli, Andreas Scholl
Anne Sophie Von Otter
Philippe Jaroussky
Il Giardino Armonico
Giovanni Antonini
Directed by Moshe Leiser,
Patrice Caurier
DVD 074 3602 8
Blu Ray 0440 074 3606 6.

I haven't seen this advertised anywhere, nor have I seen it on sale.   Could this have slipped under the radar and nobody has noticed?   Has the project been dropped?  Or postponed?   Does anyone know?

I was lucky enough to see this production. Whereas there was plenty to argue about re the 'mise en scène' - Cornelia's attempted suicide by garden centre crocodile was a step too far for me and a dreadful indignity to heap upon the luckless Mme. Von Otter  sad - the singing (of everyone) was absolutely wonderful and I would just love a good quality DVD.  

A.
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   31st March 2014, 10:54

I'm afraid this production from Salzburg hasn't been released. Let's say it was "put on hold". It was filmed and showed on tv, but somewhere in the system it was decided not to make it available as a commercial title... - Too bad! Let's hope it comes at at later stage! - I wish!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   31st March 2014, 11:12

Oh, what a pity! Tusen takk, Morten!

A.
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   31st March 2014, 12:29

My pleasure!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto   Today at 13:40