HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

Microphones and other technical stuff...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bruce Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 06:54

Does anyone know if the December performances in Cologne will be miked? I don't want to travel from L.A. if that is the case. Thanks one and all. If we could only get him back to the Left Coast of America again!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 07:42

Mr. Anderson

Sorry, I don´t understand your question . " Miked" ??????????????

The performances in Cologne are not confirmed yet. You can spare the troubles to travel from L. A.

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 08:05

Drôle de question! If a concert is to be broadcast on television or radio, it will, of course, be "miked" but discreetly ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 12:50

Bruce Anderson,
on the contrary, to my mind this is a quite reasonable question. Due to the fact that the opera won't take place in the opera house but in the Musical Dome, it must be allowed to wonder if mics could be necessary there. Built for musical productions, where amplifying is obligatory and several different technical stuff is used, this building might have poor acoustics. I think it will be possible to find out via web, because there are already other opera representations given there. I'll inform you as soon as I had some contact with the Cologne box office again which hopefully will happen soon.
smile
Back to top Go down
Bruce Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 14:55

@ Duffy, thanks for being my champion on this issue. Yes I've been to many performances that were broadcast or recorded, but the sound was not projected into the hall over microphones. I recently saw a production by Long Beach Opera and was appalled to find at the downbeat that all sound, dare I say, music, was being run through a public address system. Not only that the conductor was skyped in from backstage. A very unsatisfying experience.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 15:29

Bruce Anderson,
up to now, no one knows what is going on there in Cologne. Due to political quarrels, the Cologne Opera has no valid budget and is therefore not able to sign contracts at the moment. I called them twice and they are sure this is gonna change, only a matter of tactics. Let's hope they'll be right..
The opera building is rebuilt. Several other locations are used in order to carry out the planned representations. Mics are not used in general as far as lyrical singers are concerned. I think if mics were necessary another location would have been chosen.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 19:40

Dear Bruce, I think you have a prefectly legitimate question. I would not go to LA for a miked production either.

The Musical Dome is a concerthall. It is stunningly beautiful in its architecture, and I do not like modern architecture so that means something, and, like all dome shaped buildings, it has acousticsproblems. The sound just whirls to the top. The Royal Albert Hall has the same problems.

BUT, there is a dutch sound engineer who has devised a computerprogramme based on real life models the size of a livingroom, very sophisticated, to chart the sound and where it goes. Based on that model, they were able to place a kind of upside down umbrella's on the ceiling, and the problem is now gone.

The first time the orchestra played in its own house, the musicians all broke into tears. inally, all their efforts were paying off. All these years they had been fighting their surroundings, and now it was finally giving that back.

It is safe to go there now.
Back to top Go down
Vandea

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 19:48

Bruce a far as we got told on Sunday in Essen, it is still not confirmed!
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   12th June 2012, 20:17

Bruce Anderson,

I apologise. It was not my intention to be rude - it's just that to a techie dinosaur like me, it sounded rather a strange question ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Bruce Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   13th June 2012, 05:10

@Artemis, no offense taken. I'm heartened by the degree of candor around this topic. We are all obviously fans of beauty in music. I appreciate learning more about the acoustical repairs done to the hall. I can tell you our own Walt Disney Concert Hall, which is stunning, does not favor singers. So each hall has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I experienced PJ at Royce Hall at UCLA, which does favor singers and it was a marvelous, soul-lifting up experience.

@Duffy, thank you for pursuing the Cologne connection. I look forward to learning more once contracts are finalized and management is committed to the performances.

Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 07:12

Bruce Anderson,

"Cesare"- performance in Salzburg was " miked" for the ARTE- recording and I´m more than sure, all the people who traveled there for this unforgettable experience were not disappointed in this case.

I guess, you just should shape your question more suitable the next time- no one is forced to attend an performance with a "conductor "who "was skyped in from backstage".
Thank you.

SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 09:15

Dear Arta, please don't be too harsh again with poor ordinary mortals like us. Of course Bruce meant "miked and amplified", not "miked for recording", it was pretty clear from the conversation.
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 10:54

Thanks Bruce for starting this interesting topic about technical stuff. I actually don't have a clue about how that works so I very much appreciate learning more! friends
Back to top Go down
Astarto

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 15:46

I agree that it is an interesting topic, and would really appreciate it if guests who ask legitimate and interesting questions here were treated politely. (While I don´t mind if people who extremely write stupid or unsitable comments get critical feedback.) Otherwise we need hardly wonder why people write only drivel here, do we?
The hall the Opera Cologne is using this year simply does not have an adequate acoustic for countertenors singing baroque music, so the question is indeed whether there will be amplification or simply bad acoustics. And some of us still differentiate between hearing someone singing live and just hearing a loudspeaker amplify something. Well, I bet there won´t be amplification.

Back to top Go down
Bruce Anderson

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 17:42

@Asarto. Thanks for more information about the hall in Cologne. It appears the concerts still aren't final, so I will wait a bit before deciding whether to make the trip to Europe. In any event it seems the hall is not ideal for countertenors whether miked or not.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 17:54

There are different reviews in the German newspapers referring to the hall's acoustics after they started the representations there, I think with "Tosca", in May. The theatre manager admitted the acoustics still had to be optimized, though there had been changes made before, concerning the damping. Parts of it already had been removed.
Still six months to go, let's see. smile
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 19:51

After a stunning experience in the shoebox that is the Amsterdam Concertgebouw I am prepared that any other place will be less stunning. I could feel his voice pushing against my eardrums there, live and unamplified.

But for me it is only a few hours by train, and not a trip half way around the globe, so, maybe you'd better sit this one out, Bruce.

And I must say, that his question is a legitimate one, and he does not need to be told off like some schoolboy. This is a neutral place, where music as well as an artist is discussed, and constructive criticism should be allowed. This is not a place of worship or one to attempt the canonization of Saint Philippe, right? Should that be the case, I would rather go to an unofficial Philippe fanpage where people can say what they want as long as it is not spewing venom or uttering smut.
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:04

SJuli,

I beg your pardon , I´ve chosen the wrong words to express myself , never wanted just to seem to be
Quote :
too harsh again with poor ordinary mortals like us.
I ´m myself one of the poor and ordinary mortals attempting to canonize an certain Saint Countertenor. blush

carolineleiden,

the acoustics in Concertgebouw is absolutely great! clapping

Last edited by Artaserse on 19th June 2012, 20:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:11

Arta, now I sounded like a bitch, sorry.

Philippe is just a man. He snoars like a pig, steals all the blankets and makes a mess, so the canonization is not yet an issue. Not until he learns to pick up after himself, that is. smile

And officially, he has to be dead too, so let's hope it will not be an issue for a very long time!
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:14

carolineleiden,

now, I ´m quite afraid.

carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:17

AND he has to cause at least five officially recognized (by the Vatican) miracles. After death, that is.

Becoming a Saint is bloody damn hard work I tell you. But then you're set for life, eh, death, of course.
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:19

Arta,
give rose
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:27

Canonization might be just a tad difficult for a self-confessed atheist ...

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   19th June 2012, 20:30

He has until his deathbed to convert. smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microphones and other technical stuff...   Today at 16:18

Back to top Go down

Microphones and other technical stuff...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1