HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

"Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   30th September 2012, 02:32

An other "Oh my God!": roll eyes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Croogix

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   30th September 2012, 03:58

"Artaserse is a nice guy ... I accepted to do this part because I think maybe it fits the colour of my voice, and maybe it fits my own personality"

Oh Philippe, how right you are! inlove

What a lovely video, thank you for sharing Rosamunda! I adore his "I feenk"s. wink I found it funny that the villain is the only deep voice of the group. lol How fitting.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   30th September 2012, 08:26

Croogix,

I expect you already know that the tenor was usually the villain in baroque operas. It's only in later operas that the tenor assumed an heroic personality - and then the baritone became the bad guy who never gets the girl!

Rosamunda,

Thanks for the video - I'm really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) this.

A.
Back to top Go down
Kelalla

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   30th September 2012, 17:05

C'est un article:
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd October 2012, 15:15

We can vote give heart for " Artaserse" on Radio Classique France ( Eve Ruggieri raconte) :

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 11:20

Where can we vote? I can't find it! think
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 12:57

Pilar,

A technophobe speaks ... scary

I think you have to wait for "Artaserse" to be broadcast or find it under a previous broadcast before you can vote - it's done via "Les Programmes" and then through "Rechercher un morceau diffusé" - a "diary" and a list of pieces broadcast on any particular day will appear - then when you find what you want, you click "votez". You'll have to find it under the "Eve Ruggieri raconte" broadcasts.

Good luck!

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 13:15

Thanks Artemis! I'll keep an eye on the emission!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 13:18

Pilarddcc

You should go there, chose the date " Mercedi, 03/10/12", go to "Eve Ruggieri raconte" at 9:05-9:30 and then you will find
9h08
Eve

Ruggieri raconte sur Radio Classique.
9h13
Vinci

Artaserse: "Per pietà, bell'idol mio" (air d'Artaserse)
9h20
Vinci

Artaserse: "Bramar di perdere"
9h25
Vinci

Artaserse: "Dimmi che un empio sei" (air de Mandane)

and you can give them your " heart".

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 13:22

Done! Thank you Jana!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   5th October 2012, 13:25

Pilar friends kiss good

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   7th October 2012, 17:01

According to Opera Cake, a blog on all things operatic in Europe,

MEZZO TV will be broadcasting "Artaserse" from Nancy on November 20th ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Croogix

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   7th October 2012, 19:39

Artemis: You have just made my day, my week, my month! happy dance thank you I cannot possibly express how ecstatic I am that this performance - in costume - will be broadcast for all to see! Of course I will have to rely on those with a PVR for the privilege of watching it, but nonetheless, it is possible. I could float away on a cloud right now at the thought of seeing PhJ on stage once again... inlove
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   7th October 2012, 21:32

Great news, thank you, Artemis!
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   8th October 2012, 07:56

According to Mezzo's site, it will be November 10.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   8th October 2012, 08:38

Thanks,SJuli! So Opera Cake was right in substance but not in detail. I thought it was strange as I couldn't see how it could be "live" when "Artaserse" is being performed in Vienna on 20th November.

The essential is that all those who can't travel will be able to see it. Unless disaster strikes, I should be in the audience at Nancy on 10th November.

A.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   8th October 2012, 16:13

Dear members,
it won't be easy to receive or record it in Germany I fear, as MEZZO isn't part of "usual" cable packages. I personally would be very grateful if anyone could record it....
blush
Back to top Go down
Saskia

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   26th October 2012, 17:40

Do you like to watch the ARTASERSE teaser? wink

Link to the website > Opéra national de Lorraine:
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   26th October 2012, 18:11

Saskia,

Oh My God.................. swoon

( You´re a gem, thanks for sharing! inlove )

Another quite ....special staging, reminds of Kabuki ( where men are also playing women - remember "Il St. Alessio" : We´re men who play men who ´ re drawing the women").
Artabano looks like Klaus Nomi.
Artaserse looks like Nerone in nightdress, ahyyyyyyyyy!
Very strong Mandane and beautiful Semira ( no facial hair! ))))))

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   26th October 2012, 18:50

Saskia,

1000 many times thank you for your genial way to find those images!!!!!!
You really made my evening!!!!

Many thanks once again, Egbertine
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   26th October 2012, 20:50

Fabulous! Thanks a lot, Saskia.

A.
Back to top Go down
Saskia

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   27th October 2012, 09:27

You´re welcome. comp
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   27th October 2012, 09:54

Saskia, it'll be the concert version in Cologne.

Last edited by Duffy on 27th October 2012, 10:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fault)
Back to top Go down
Croogix

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   27th October 2012, 18:59

My thanks go to you as well Saskia, I look forward to seeing/hearing this beautiful production! It looks like a real gem of an opera. Laughing
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   27th October 2012, 20:41

An article in French.

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   30th October 2012, 20:19

Hi everyone!

Artaserse's première is coming! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am wondering if you want to share your opinions about the opera. Have you already listened to the whole opera? Are you going to the première? Do you prefer de full-staged or the concert version?

I am still "studying" the opera...I already listened the three CD's but I want to do some reading about the composer and the opera itself in order to get a bigger picture of this piece of art. Some first impressions: I haven't listened to Fagioli before and I think his voice is fantastic. I actually love some of Arbace's arias. Mandane is also fabulous but I didn't expect less, Cencic is very convincing in this role. Valer Barna-Sabadus is very tallented but I must confess when I listen to him it's hard to picture him as a She.

Concerning the one and only, what can I say... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Excellent is not enough! "Deh, respirar lasciatemi!" is by now my favourite aria, I think it goes prefectly with my mood those weeks Laughing Artaserse is a very nice role, even if I would like to see Philippe as Arbace! In "Vo solcando il mare" I can't help prefering/missing his rendition even if Fagioli's is very beautiful, but Philippe's is more enthusiastic and dark more into the real feeelings of Arbace at that moment.

I am looking forward for your opinions!
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   31st October 2012, 11:03

Je suis toute, toute, toute dáccord. Cool

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   31st October 2012, 13:01

This is a great article, thanks Rosamunda! Yes, in fact, Philippe's voice isn't androgyne enough, at least for me it is difficult not to realize that it is a man's voice!
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   31st October 2012, 19:11

Ups, I have just discovered why I prefered Philippe's rendition of "Vo solcando il mare"...I feel embarrassed blush I didn't realized it was from J. C. Bach and not Vinci...So, yes, I can only recognize the lyrics, never the music... no
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   31st October 2012, 21:46

Ah, the Baroque composers!
They used again and again the same issues, the same verses, the same characters ...
It is very difficult not to get lost in the middle of a hundred versions of the same aria, dear Pilar. kiss
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   31st October 2012, 22:20

I felt pretty absurd when I discovered...now I am obsessed with Arbace's rendition, it's very Bartoli in style!! (imho think )
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 00:03

Your humble opinion is also mine!
Franco Fagioli is very very Bártoli, with Cecilia´s warbling vibrato and nuances clearly female, among other things.
I still do not know if I like it completely, but classiquenews are dazzled by it. Hummm ..

Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 00:27

To reading classiquenews article....
The critic contradicts himself about P: he begins by asserting that Jaroussky did not change since its debuts then he speaks about treble of which P would be incapable today
Then what?
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 00:39

The critic is very hard and unfair on Philippe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm surprised because I think the whole opera is big success, but especially Philippe's voice is very well adapted to Artaserse's character. I do not know what is Benjamin Ballifh's problem but I guess it has more to do with personal taste (or lack of it) than a real constructive criticism. It is pretty obvious when out of the blue he says : "abattage
assuré et aigus claironnants dont aujourd'hui Jaroussky est incapable".

I kind of agree on Fagioli, maybe not so "flamboyant" but I like him very much. Concerning Valer Barna-Sabadus I must confess I expected something different. I loved him at "Cadrà fra poco in cenere" di Hasse but in Artaserse...hummm I am not totally convinced but I still do not why!

I think I have to keep "working" on this opera, till I can make my own mind about it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 08:25

Totally agree.
As with some exceptional singers "on aime o pas".
Maria Callas received throughout his musical life fiercest criticism and more unconditional love. His voice touched the listener in a manner similar to the voice of Philippe and this quality does not leave anyone indifferent. Or you bewitching or irritates you, you're a music critic or not.
In addition to classiquenews never liked Philippe.
As Fagioli ... Also I have to hear more and better.
Sorry for my english.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 11:43

Hi, Pilar et al,

An interesting discussion. What Philippe actually says in Rosamunda's article is that his is not the most androgynous voice (in comparison with other countertenors). I agree with him - and it's true that Max's voice (which I love) has a much more feminine "mezzo-ish" sound, including marked vibrato. So Max would be a much more obvious choice for a feminine rôle and judging by the "Artaserse" teaser video, he seems to be enjoying himself enormously and is very comfortable playing Mandane - rocking his frock to absolute perfection - I wish I could "flounce" like that!

I've never understood why anyone would find Philippe's voice feminine - for me it has always been unmistakeably masculine. I feel rather embarrassed at admitting this but the first time I heard Philippe's voice (disembodied on the radio) my immediate reaction was "OMG, that is one hell of a sexy boy treble!" (it was one of his earlier recordings). Some countertenors do have distinct "mezzo-ish" overtones (Bejun Mehta, David Daniels, for example) but Philippe is not one of them. In fact, I find there is something almost eerie about the way David Daniels sometimes sounds like (mezzo) Marilyn Horne! Androgyny can work both ways - I have on occasion mistaken the superb (contralto) voice of Nathalie Stutzmann for that of a countertenor!

As for Classiquenews, it's not the first time that Philippe has been the subject of a bad review or snide remarks - so I guess they just don't like him. Too bad - it's their loss. Singers often excite polarised reactions and there are many highly acclaimed singers that some people don't like and really can't understand what all the fuss is about - Rolando Villazon and Jonas Kaufmann, in my case.

I'm going to see the staged version of "Artaserse" in Nancy and will be attending some of the concert performances. I have the "Artaserse" CD set but am trying to resist the temptation to play it as I would like to go to Nancy without any pre-conceived ideas. From what I've heard, I don't care for Fagioli's timbre but maybe it takes some getting used to and I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 1st November 2012, 11:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling! oops!)
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 13:26

To Artemis with love: roll eyes
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 14:27

Absolutely stunning!! bow I love it ... can't wait to go to Nancy now ... Thanks, Rosamunda!

A.
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 21:30

Back to top Go down
Astarto

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   1st November 2012, 22:55

The "classiquenews" "reviewer" contradicts himself in every paragraph, and I ask myself which opera he has heard - maybe it was not Artaserse from 2011, but another recording? He calls the voices of Fagioli and Barna-Sabadus apre, bitter, which I don´t hear - and likes them best? He calls expressive Fagioli and Barna-Sabadus, where I thinh the technique is very good, but I don´t hear much emotion expressed, while PhJ´s singing is emotionally so overwhelming... (and Cencic´s, where the reviewer doesn´t hear it either. And to hear only one colour in PhJ´s voice - this so called reviewer must be deaf! And sorry, how can the reviewer judge which of the CTs are good actors if he has only heard the CD? It is the most upside-down review I have ever had the misfortune to waste my time reading, and I can only wish the reviewer that he will quickly recover from his hearing or other problems which resulted in this "review".

Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   2nd November 2012, 00:27

To mon 1650
thank you for this link
a great review
Back to top Go down
peacefulworld

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   2nd November 2012, 16:48

One of my friends sent this to me.

This is broadcast of France 3 , Nancy region, Lorraine on 31-10-2012.
You can see about Arterserse from 10:47. wink
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 13:23

A radio interview with Philippe about "Artaserse", in Italian

Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 13:56

...and thanks for the link, dear peacefulworld! smile
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 18:09

Ohhhh my, Felipe speaking Italian [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So sweet and [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] How interesting are his remarks! He is not only lovely and talented but also smart, but you already know that!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 19:15

I'm sure that the interview is all that Pilar says, but unfortunately I am not able to access it ... could it be because I'm a techie dinosaur?

A.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 21:39

Dear all,

I did a some sort of translation of the interview for everyone who can't understand Italian. Sorry for my English, I didn't very quick so I am sure it is plety of mistakes... As I said before, his Italian is very sweet and he is very fluent!

Enjoy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Interviewer:
How do you explain the great success of Baroque music nowadays?

PJ: It is
said that it is a trend but I don’t think so. Fron now on this repertoire will
be programmed as the classical one, as Mozart, Puccini… The baroque music is
essential to understand classical music and the occidental music tradition.

My role is
a man one, but Max and Valer impersonate women. They wear great gowns, I must
say, hahaha

People tend
to think that five CT’s singing for 3 hours will be always the same, but I have
to say that each voice has its own particularities and they are very different
from each other. The sensibilities are quite different also and the
vocalization too. I think that after 15 min. youc an forget about them being
men. We are all very happy to work in this project, Vinci’s Artaserse is the
first one in history and his music…It’s a very well-known opera, the most
famous in Eighteenth century Italy
and also abroad. At the National Library in paris
there are also a lot of copies of some of Artaserse’s arias, it was also very
well-known in France.

It was very
unfair not to have a record of this opera. Furthermore the possibility of
representing it in a theatre is great because it allows us to understand the dramatic
quality of this opera. Artaserse was written for the scene, for action…the
dramatic construction of the libretto is fantastic, a masterpiece. Vinci and
Pergolesi had invented a new way of writing music, which leads us to Mozart. When
I first read the score I thought it was a bit poor from the armonic point of
view, and very simple, but when I had to sing it I realized it was music to pleasure
the public.

The construction
of the first Act is just fantastic. Poor Arbace can’t say the truth and even
his father is going to have him killed. The topi oc sacrifice and so on, the “scrittura”
(I think he is talking about the music itself) is unbelievable. The dialogue
between Arbace and Artaserse, his friendship is very touching. The most
important moment is the end of the First Act when Arbace after trying to
convince the others about his innocence but no one believe it. Each character
has an aria telling him something, from his father telling he is not his son
anymore, to his lover, Mandane, who doesn’t want to be with him, and so on. At
the end Arbace sings this well-known “aria di tempesta”, “Vo solcando” which is
the climax. It’s a very special moment; this aria demands a special ability. From
my point of view this is the most important moment in the opera.

My
favourite aria and the most particular one is “Deh respirar lasciate”, at the
fisrt act, it’s not a particularly sad or suffering piece but I should try to
render it as if Artaserse was lacking his breath. This aria is perhaps the most
original one in the whole score. I think that’s why it was so well-known also
in his time. It conveys perfectly the fragility of Artaserse. I have to sing it
in the most beautiful possible way but I have also to show the difficulty Artaserse
has to breathe; this is so beautiful!

(Music)

Interviewer:
Among this first part of the interview with PJ, who speaks great Italian, we
have listened to ….

We know PJ’s
repertoire is not limited to baroque music, we have countless examples…

PJ: The
idea behind this setting is to show the whole paraphernalia, so to speak
make-up, costumes, etc., as “in progress” during the performance. The idea is
to pay homage to the aesthetic and also not being the whole time the character
you have to impersonate. I have to find a way to change from Artaserse to
Philippe in my only one change of costume on the scene. This is a way of
showing that the story is very dramatic but also a bit artificial, we don’t
want to hide this from the public, so everything is before beholder’s eyes.

We are
actually happy about doing a second recording after the CD one because we naturally
did the first one in a studio. Now we have the scene experience so we all are
more intense. We know better the music, the libretto and the recitatives,
everything is livelier.

Five years
ago I thought my voice will be lower, but the way of singing changes with your
body with the musical maturity and also the technical maturity. However I still
work a lot with my sing teacher. It’s very difficult because a lyrical artist
has to sing without microphones, so you have to learn how to be relaxed the whole
performance, not pushing, to be aware of the difficulties and of course to
trust in the technique. For me it is essential. CT’s voice is quite new, just after
the Second World War there was only Alfred Deller and Britten composed for him.
I have chosen myself the music I think goes better with my own voice. My
Italian is not so good and I sign everything in Italian, so I guess I missed
signing in my own language, French.

(Music)

Interviewer:
PJ is fascinating also in this kind of French repertoire (bla, bla) this
beautiful music which confirms also the quality and sensibility of Philippe
Jaroussky.
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 22:20

Pilarddcc,

thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 22:23

Dearest Pilar, thank you very much! flowers
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   3rd November 2012, 22:35

Artemis,
Maybe this way it will work... think

Last edited by SJuli on 4th November 2012, 06:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.   Today at 16:34

Back to top Go down

"Artaserse" ( 1730) by Leonardo Vinci.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next