HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 20:32

Dear Vivaldi and Tuffy, where is the other thread? I think I missed it
Back to top Go down
Vivaldi

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 21:02

Pilarddcc wrote:
Dear Vivaldi and Tuffy, where is the other thread? I think I missed it

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 21:26

Philippe: wonderful!!!
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 21:27

OMG, Vivaldi I'm so messed... lol
Back to top Go down
Morten Sletten

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 22:27

I've just watched the 4 hour+ marathon performance of "Giulio Cesare"... I'm stunned! A really "drastic" version with a lot of graphic blood-stained scenes, I must say. I didn't like the "intestines-scene". That was really unnessesary.
Our Philippe did a really good Sesto. He started out as a white-clad schoolboy and ended up as a killer revenging his father. - Good of Giulio Cesare he removed that bomb-belt, though!
Who know what would have happened. And his singing is just getting even more impressive! Fantastic! Cecilia Bartoli was terrific too. - It must be a first time for a leading lady to sing a whole aria with a shopping-bag over her head... And that voice... Andreas Scholl also impressed me. He's even better now than his previous performance in Copenhagen. Anne Sofie von Otter did a really good Cornelia also. Her technique with planting flowers isn't the best , though... And that infame Dumeaux-guy! Well, well... I hope they will issue this on a commercial DVD! - Next year perhaps?
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 22:57

I did the fast version, where I ran through it to my favourite aria's. Great opera, great staging, great singing and acting. Philippe did as good a Sesto as Lorraine Hunt, expressive, sensitive, heartfelt, moving, convincing, and she set the bar high!

It was interesting to see all the mucles working real hard underneath the soft layer of good life when the shirt comes off. But no more chocolates for him. Next presents will be carrots and radishes!

Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   28th May 2012, 23:35

To Carolineleide
Sesto-Jaroussky stil a teenager threatened with overweight!
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   29th May 2012, 00:42

I ´m just back from Salzburg and yet hardly realized all my luck to have been there and enjoyed this perfect cast !
Now, I will try just to merely breathe again normally and to manage the "real life".

Philippe was breathtaking incredible amazing gorgeous terrific I miss the words, I can´t think anymore, I just feel ....a lot....sorry, I need some gulps wine and some sleep, then I will be more able to tell you something about this experience.

surprised

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   29th May 2012, 00:44

We will wait impatiently for your report! party
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   29th May 2012, 10:57

I am so sorry I missed you Artaserse!!!Well, maybe another time, Happy you enjoyed it!!!
Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   29th May 2012, 11:38

Forum opera
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 00:32

Pilarddcc wrote:
We will wait impatiently for your report! party

Sorry, I´m continually drunk since my arrival, but I´ll try to start some lines.
I liked the concept of this staging very well, the idea to show the horror of a war itself and to show that the nasty business of politics , handling with the oil or something else, are made with the hands of innocent people who aren´t soldiers at all , the more - they are pacifists like Sesto , who came to Cesare begging him to " Dona l´asta al tempio , ozio al fianco , ozio alla destra!". The fragile , spoiled, soft and unsure kid forced to kill to acknowledge his " value " as a man - what a terrible job! I´m still there, a lot fire on stage, absolutely horrible feeling of danger, I can smell the blood, the smoke , the fear, the loathing, the sweat. I can feel with this boy.... guy....who wanted to be just happy with his family and now- he must defend his mother, his name, his pride; his fate is cruel, his choice is done by the other people - the people who only wanted the power and the glory. Now, the only one way to defend the honour of the family, he is the only heir, this boy is forced to kill, to be a " man" in the common meaning of the merciless society.
I think it was the greatest proof of courage by Philippe to undress his shirt on stage , to show his bare torso as a sign of purity of minds and self- sacrifice for the idealistic revenge.... I cried, I cry and I´ll cry for this Hero, for his deepest pain, sorrow and his pride - so honest and faithful to himself as he was, we have an great example of a young man, who never denied himself and remained being himself with all his failures, despite of the judgement of the mights of his world. Chapeau, Signor Sesto ! Deep bow, Monsieur Philippe.

Please excuse moi, perhaps, I´l try to express myself again...when I´ll be anyway sober.

tuffy942 wrote:
I am so sorry I missed you Artaserse!!!Well, maybe another time, Happy you enjoyed it!!!

Dear tuffy942, I know, Jana told me about you a lot! Another time for sure!

Last edited by Artaserse on 30th May 2012, 00:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 07:33

Thanks Artaserse, described it very well.
Continue with the story while still drunk. Please.
Back to top Go down
temp

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 08:27

Artaserse
Yes, do please continue. You are our eyes and ears, and heart, too. And I am very glad to read your praise for Philippe:

Quote :
I think it was the greatest proof of courage by Philippe to undress his shirt on stage , to show his bare torso as a sign of purity of minds

He must have known how cruel people could be, especially when the performance was filmed close-up. I cannot praise him enough.
Back to top Go down
NoteSensible

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 08:44

Thank you Artaserse, for a so beautiful review.

Sesto is really a sublime character, and Philippe WAS Sesto ! I understand your tears ! More than a vocal perfection, it was a complete performance of singer and actor !

Bravi !!!!

I would like to launch roses on stage !
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 08:51

Rosamunda

Thank you for understanding, I ´ll continue for sure, but a bit later, I didn´t sleep well this night and ( to be honest ) I watched some passages of " Incoronazione di Poppea"))) because I noticed still in Salzburg while the performance, they " borrowed" there some points - for example, Nireno became Nirena = Arnalta, also the purple shawl and the final duett " - Caro! - Bella!" was quite similar to " Pur ti miro " also the golden dress of Cleopatra, but of course, much more naughty in movements. )))
Pity, ARTE focused all cameras at the action of the both on the floor because the " common people" drinking at the piano are also very expressive, especially Sesto , who is curious to see more of the action on the floor as well as getting more alcohol to drink - yes, after all he is an mature man now, but his mum Cornelia forbids him both, though - that ´s so funny!

NoteSensible, temp

Yes, oh yes!!! He was not afraid of showing himself being timid, scared, vulnerable, he opened both his minds and his breast in every moment of this short imaginary life on stage.
Merci. give rose

carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 10:27

Good review Arta! I hope you will not fully recuperate for a long time but remain in the magical atmosphere a little longer. Seeing a concert is always great, but the coming down afterwards...like the earth opening up beneath your feet.

Yes, it was very brave of him to stand there half naked, knowing he has gained a few pounds since the last time he was half naked on stage, and knowing the images would go viral on the web the day after the emission. But it was necessary for the drama, and it conveys the agony that too many martyrs and their mothers have to go through even today, because of the vulnerability it shows. It fittet that modern war time setting and it worked in the story. A muscly hero would not have been a good Sesto. Bartolli did a great casting, in all the parts!

And come on, there's nothing to be really ashamed of. Just a little layer of good life, and it's even kind of sweet. wink

( Like I tell my own husband when he complains about what he calls his fat cadaver: "honey, I don't care, there's just more of you to love, and besides, it's nice to cuddle up against". smile )
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 10:33

Caroline drinks

Your husband, my BF, all use to complain about that but I agree, I love those hot "gorditos" air kiss 2
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 10:36

At least it gives us an excuse to grow some of our own! agree
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 10:42

Arta,
I agree to you. I felt almost the same, though I only watched it on the screen. Up to now, I've never been hearing anything that touching like "L'aure che spira". A mother sending her son to certain death, the ritual washing of the martyr and him, playing this mixture of agony and determination in a way that my heart almost missed the beat. It took a bit of time to separate the role and the singer from each other again.... roll eyes I already know that I'll be relieved when I see him in good health and state of mind next week. Let's say it with Tina Turner : "Simply the best"!!!
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 13:45

You're absolutely right, Duffy.
I know several versions of "L'aure che spira," but none like this, with such a burden of helplessness and pain. Irresistible.
I have many reservations about the production, but all the scenes of Cornelia and Sextus, together or separately, are worth the full opera.
Neither "Piangero" or "Se pietà di me non senti" give a comparable or suffering or are better sung.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 13:55

I think I'll never understand how he does it to have this expression of pure panic and terror in his eyes....you believe every word. Did he really say once he'd have difficulties to act? Suuuuure. surprised

Last edited by Duffy on 30th May 2012, 13:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expression not impression, my part to be impressed.....)
Back to top Go down
Vivaldi

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 16:06

Artaserse wrote:

I watched some passages of " Incoronazione di Poppea"))) because I noticed still in Salzburg while the performance, they " borrowed" there some points - for example, Nireno became Nirena = Arnalta, also the purple shawl and the final duett " - Caro! - Bella!" was quite similar to " Pur ti miro " also the golden dress of Cleopatra, but of course, much more naughty in movements. )))

Interesting. A friend of mine who sang Cleopatra earlier this year in Giulio Cesare in Helsinki noted to me that there where some "quotations" between their production and this Salzburg one. Some of Cleopatra scenes and most significantly the one where Tolomeo uprooted (is this the right word in this context?) Cesare's spleen (or what ever it was).
Back to top Go down
Vivaldi

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 16:14

so much excitement about PJ's bare chest....What do you say about this wink

think secret shock

Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 16:28

shock Quite disturbing a dire il vero... I am picturing Philippe doing that heat I am sure that there would be a lot of heart attacks!!! swoon
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 17:53

Vivaldi

Yes, I always like to find some similar details, that is so exciting, to see something what reminds you of the other wonderful performance or operatic theme in general. )))
And about Giasone.... it was this scene, where he has nightmares and missed his....ehm ...member after that, wasn´t it?
So , Pilarddcc , for better not! ))))

Duffy

Oh how right you are, too! That kind of the last washing of a martyr is terrible amazing and played by Philippe even on the narrow line between agonised braveness and breathtaking fear ..... Philippe is an great Actor, no doubt!

Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 21:28

Only got back from Salzburg very late last night - so I thought I'd give you my two cents' worth while it is still fresh in my mind - well, everyone else has given their impressions, so why not me!

I'll get my reservations about the staging over first. Given Salzburg's reputation in recent years for Regie and/or Eurotrash productions, I wasn't expecting any kind of subtlety. There is a difference between "Regie" and "Eurotrash" but I won't go into such distinctions here; there were elements of both in this production. It was all there - over-blown, blindingly obvious symbolism - wriggling snakes, red-tipped torpedo bombs, etc. - much of it, frankly, rather "dépassé" these days. This production also contained "borrowings" from other recent Handelian productions, which didn't even have the virtue of being original - laziness on the part of the directors, as was the habit, once they had got hold of an idea, to keep bludgeoning you over the head with it with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. I groaned inwardly every time I saw Dumaux reach for his belt buckle ("Oh, no, not AGAIN!") - not the first Tolomeo I have seen who was required to fake sex and/or masturbation - so again, not even original.

That said, there was much that was very fine in the staging. The idea to have Cleopatra sing "Piangero la sorte mia" (my favourite Cleo. aria) with her head in a sack really worked for me - it meant that Mme Bartoli could only rely on her voice and nothing else to portray the pathos and emotion of the aria - which she did superbly well - a real tribute to her artistry. I do hope that was an eco-friendly, re-useable shopping bag, by the way ...

I loved the staging of "Aure, deh, per pietà" - the balletic movements with the stranded Cesare surrounded by the flotsam of his army was really heart rending - and magnificently sung by Scholl at both performances.

And I thought Cecilia's rendition of "Da tempeste", whilst gleefully counting the EU handouts and slipping Curio a backhander, was very wittily done.

At the first performance, there were many empty seats after the first interval, and even more after the second interval - so I guess a section of the audience voted with their feet. I think they were very mistaken not to stay - because they missed some of the finest singing and acting that it's ever been my good luck and privilege to hear. And, in any case, Handel is so great that he can take anything that is thrown at him (and frequently does!) and still come out tops ...

Vocally, I thought the production was out of this world ...

Individually:

Ruben Drole played Achilla as a bear-like tough guy brought low by love. You just had to feel sorry for the guy - in loving Cornelia, he was just so way out of his league on so many different levels, that he didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell. I liked his ringing bass baritone and thought it made a very pleasing contrast to all the countertenory.

Christophe Dumaux is the definitive Tolomeo. He really does seem to relish playing bad boys. This particular Tolomeo was a dangerous, debauched psychopath with an overactive libido - in the Middle Eastern context of the staging, think Saddam Hussain's charming son, Uday ... I think Christophe may be in some danger of being typecast as he does this so well; I'd bet if any opera house needs a Tolomeo, Dumaux's agent is the first number that gets called. I really like his voice, great range and really great lows. At the second performance there was quite a lot of booing after "L'empio, sleale, indegno" which I thought was really crass. It couldn't have been for his singing or acting, so I guess they didn't like what he was doing onstage - not his fault, he's only carrying out the directors' wishes. I suppose, in a way, its a back-handed compliment to his acting skills. I was pleased that he got a huge ovation (and a bouquet thrown at him!) at curtain call so I hope he wasn't too upset.

Jochen Kowalski's voice is no longer as strong and flexible as it was when he knocked us all sideways all those years ago as Farnace in "Mitridate" but I'm astonished that he is still singing (and singing well) given the relatively short shelf life of the countertenor voice and he still has great, great stage presence.

Scholl was in fine voice on both nights and at the first performance his "Aure, deh, per pietà" reduced me to a soggy heap of goo - the opening sustained note on "Aure" was so exquisite that I really did wonder whether I had died and gone to heaven. This is really the sort of aria that Scholl excels at; anyone who talks about his premature vocal decline should have been present to hear it.

La Bartoli really is a one woman "tour de force" and I like her much better in staged opera than I do in recital (when the tricksy ornamentation can seem a little futile). Here she never put a foot wrong or a note out of place and sang expressively and exquisitely -often under trying circumstances - nobody should be asked to sing "V'adoro pupille" whilst straddling an airbound torpedo bomb!

Mme von Otter is a class act and she and Philou provided the finest singing of the evening(s). "The" duet was one of the high points (the others, for me, being "Cara speme" and "Aure, deh") and their voices blended to perfection.

What can I say about Philou that's not been said already? I think he was born to sing Sesto and if he never does anything else, he will have justified his existence on this planet. He's the only male singer I can think of who's capable of showing Sesto's youth and vulnerability and it will be difficult for me to accept a mezzo in pants again. I was so spellbound by his performance on the first night that he didn't reduce me to the helpless soggy mess that he usually does - made up for it on the second night though!

I'll really have to see the ARTE telecast now just to see what ARTE thinks I should see (and if there is anything I've missed) ...

In some ways, the audience at Salzburg is a strange one and reminds me of Glyndebourne - lots of corporate invites and people there for the social occasion - very easy to spot - overdressed, perma-tanned and face-lifted to unnatural perfection -and that's just the men!

A.
Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 22:06

Hello everybody
I would like to know if the artists who sign a contract for an opera very often for a very long time before playing it have knowledge of the direction
Somebody more enlightened whom I can he explain me how it takes place?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 23:05

Dear Artemisa, thanks for the review.
I also believe that the production is enough of " to cut and to stick ", but all the scenes of Cornelia and Sesto are magnificent and some of them, totally of cutting the breath.
And it is true. Händel supports everything, is a titan.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   30th May 2012, 23:32

Artaserse
Duffy
Rosamunda

Absolutely agree….
I spent this very short but unforgettable time in Salzburg with my dearest friend tuffy942 . Now, I also try to reflect my incredible intense experiense, I still can´t realize the fact of being there, in this dark and dangerous area of a war , made by the careless and greedy rulers – they are playing with the innocent victims, enjoying their pain and dispair – like a sated cat play with a mouse just to torture it for a while.
I very liked the light on stage , the choreographie and the movements anyway– though, it was quite controversial staging, but well done and very sharp observed. Very expressive that kind of a colossal „ guillotine- knife“ sags all the time like a sword of Damocles on the stage „ heaven“.
Now to our Hero- I believe, all the words can´t describe good enough this overwhelming devotion and passion for living in the role , for the role, inside of the white and tender skin of a young well- protected and timid patrician, who such suddenly become the revenger and only one hope of his mother, who must replace his murdered father and looses his freedom to decide for himself – now, he will be prepared only to kill or to be killed. Cruel lot. He starts to transform – from a boy who is afraid of the shoots and guns to the boy, who is forced to use this equipment in a hope to save his own and his mothers life. He is still afraid of it but not ashamed to show all his feelings honestly. His soul is naked – already at the beginning , then in each scene he peeled off something of his clothes- the cravat at the first, the desperate suffering soul don´t need that at all ! And I think, the greatest measure of braveness and self- sacrifice was not showing the bare breast, but - the bare Soul.
I still see all the incredible expressive moments between mother and son- as she tried secretly and briefly to touch him , to save him and at the same time to form him desperately to something he can not be- a killer. The reaction of Cornelia after sending her only son into a dolorous death is terrible precise– this voiceless scream at the blood- red wall, I felt it enormously deep and fierce…I have three boys myself and I pray ever to protect them from any cruelty of a big world outdoors.

Some photos from booklet.

Spoiler:

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   31st May 2012, 13:44

JaRowi thanks for you add some to this round of reviews!.
The Cornelia's scream at the end of "L'aure che spira" is striking and a perfect closing for this scene. Live must have been overwhelming.
I also like the end of the impressive "Cara speme", while with the ashes of his father, Sesto is put war paint and puts it to his mother and last time, identifies with them Nirena and does the same. It is a terrible moment, another "Alea jacta est".
Back to top Go down
mon 1650

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   1st June 2012, 06:53

Thanks for every review!!! It is very precious!
Back to top Go down
rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   1st June 2012, 21:33

An interesting article showing the diversity of opinions on stage but unanimity on the excellence of the singers
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   1st June 2012, 22:56

Thanks, Rikkapijemy. An interesting article. I've been looking at the comments left on ARTE's (French) website and it makes for interesting reading.

Re your previous question about how much singers know about a production when they are booked years in advance, I was hoping that someone better qualified than me would answer it for you. Where is "Mr. Vivaldi" when you need him?! I've been told that it's largely unknown territory. They usually (but not always) know the name of the director and that's about it. Mind you, I think if you had signed up for a production with Calixto Bieito or David Alden, you would have a pretty good idea of what was expected of you!! And I guess if you are a really big name, you are in a position to dictate who you work with.

A.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 11:19

Vivaldi wrote:
so much excitement about PJ's bare chest....What do you say about this wink

think secret shock

Dear Vivaldi,
Yes, certainly Dumaux here is very attractive and sings beautifully, but I can assure you that your chest does not have anywhere near the same appeal as that of Philippe.

You may not have noticed, but Philippe radiate an eroticism so strong when he sings and his voice, angelic or not, has such magnetism that beside him the eroticism of Dumaux is too obvious and much less dangerous.

And we are legion those who suffer its effects. swoon
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 13:05

Rosamunda, let's be fair: Dumeaux is a fine example of a masculine rrrrrrrrrr specimen. Just a bit too skinny to my taste, but otherwise I cannot say anything than that his physique is immaculate. And skinny can be taken care of very easily with some good cooking, of course. Get him on a diet of chocolate mousse and foie gras, with enough booze to complement it and he'll have gordito's like Philippe within three months. Laughing

Edit: typo

Last edited by carolineleiden on 2nd June 2012, 16:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 13:37

After the Sunday performance, talking to Philippe, he was interested in how his Sesto had impacted the people.....And seemed very happy to know he had amply reached us, his acting, his view of the character and how he had portrayed it. I believe his Sesto was influenced by Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson's role which he thinks was the best Sesto, and I have always thought she was the ONE for the role. Well, she can pass the crown to this beautiful, talented and sexy countertenor who, like her, started singing relatively late in life and also like her, was a performer in strings. Philippe's Sesto and his mother took me to the brink of emotion and for me, this was the soul of the opera. PJ had to leave to go to a dinner with the cast, but took with him our hearts and flowers and books with a big smile and a satisfied look. kiss flowers This will have to last me for a long time although I will see if I can attend once more before his sabbatical. And I wish I had met ALL of you who were there!!!I am so glad PJ has a large contingent of love.He fully deserves it! kiss
Tuffy still in heaven! stars
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 13:54

Like I already said on YT: Lorraine Hunt is looking down on him and smiles. He does her proud.

Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 14:09

And as far as the mise en scene is concerned: I thought it was great. Händel can take a bit of spectacle anyhow , and it is totally fitting with today's mores. Turn on any TV and this is what you get. This kind of visual overload is what people have grown accustomed to in this digital day and age.

What else would the boo-ers preferred? Pyramids, sand, camels en everybody in toga and sandals, carrying a gladius, and walking sideways like an Egyptian? Boooooring. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, got rid of it. Or maybe the trick with the white boxes on an otherwise bare stage?

This was new, different, daring, unique, well thought through and it hit the nail on the head. Good thing Bartolli asked them to keep doing this. And for the booing crowd: get a life. Try and do it better yourself. Well, except maybe for the crocodile and the V2 rocket... smile

Did I mention I want this on a legal DVD and would be willing to pay good money for it, dear people from Arte? wink
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 14:17

And one more remark for the credibility of the performance next August:

Dear Philippe, when you fire a gun, the kickback is instantaneous, and not half a second later.smile And it is not half a meter upwards either...

Last edited by carolineleiden on 2nd June 2012, 14:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 14:41

So many weapon experts around since this production! Laughing
Btw. I couldn' figure out the meaning of the crocodile either.
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 14:48

First time a fired a real kicker I flew up half a meter in the air myself, not just my arm. smile

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 14:51

"Turn on any TV and this is what you get" - well, maybe, that's precisely why some people (and I am NOT speaking for myself here) would prefer to see something different when they go to the theatre or the opera house.

I had some reservations about the staging of this production but much of it was very good indeed (as I said above).

Of course, we don't want to go back to the old-style "park and bark" opera productions with the chorus standing in serried ranks; and personally, I have never seen any production of "Cesare" as cheesy as the one Caroline describes - "Aïda", maybe, which naturally errs on the cheesy side. Mind you, with some singers (Pavarotti, Botha) "park and bark" is probably the safest option!

I wouldn't have minded (just for once), seeing a production as it was performed in Handel's time, though. When productions like "Sant' Alessio" or "Niobe" are put on, the public just can't seem to get enough ...

Re: booing - it's something I would never do (I think it's crass and loutish); if I don't like something, I just withhold my applause.

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 2nd June 2012, 15:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afterthought!)
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 15:11

Carolineleiden, I am with you. I am not crazy about some modern staging but this one made everything relevant and exciting. So oil wells instead of pharaoh's statues? Great! People running away from the armed soldiers? Happens every day. The war scene with rockets? Really well done and scary, and Philippe cowering from the exploding bombs. Ptolemy wanking with a centerfold? Crass but very today with "goddesses who carry heaven in their ..eeh..faces".The crocodile jaws a little weird...but Sesto becoming a suicide bomber also totally relevant. Even the projections were adequate and well chosen. So I felt the stagers did justice to Handel. My husband wanted roman togas, but there is no way this opera would have benefitted from a more classic take. THIS was a wrenching, emotional love-war story and I will never tire of seeing it. I will most definitely buy the DVD if it ever comes out and buy some for friends too. Please Opera magazine in US, give this 20 thumbs up!!!! clapping clapping clapping
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 17:34

They did take a good long hard look at the Sellars production, (the one with Lorraine Hunt, yes), for the staging, I noticed.
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 18:14

That was my impression too. smile
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 22:24

Full agree with caroline, Artemis and tuffy - the staging is really well done, sharp observed, emotionally fulfilled and humorous, the colours and lights- exposure onstage are expressive and even the costumes emphasize the characters. And sensuous, for sure – very fleshly, yes.

The more I drink ehmm…think about this extraordinary event, the more I enjoy this special kind of movements inherent to each of the main personages, that´s so exciting! Look – Cesare´s kind of vigorous elastic gait, almost dancing of one quite selfish and mighty charmeur, a bit narcissistic and sarcastic at the same time . Ladies, what about Mr. Scholl – he lost some weight ( gym?) and looked also verrrry sexy, nice legs and so on…

Tolomeo is a snake himself! Dressed with a dégagé gold- printed snakeskin suit , he is graceful , dangerous , devious, strong , with his tall and slender shape and unpredictable movements – what a guy! Mr. Dumaux smoked outside of theatre before the performance - quite an rebel, isn´t he?

Sesto. At the very beginning he walked after the resolute Cornelia as an obedient mummy´s boy, unsure and getting a bit weak in the knees, with his white carefully ironed suit and golf - sandals , he looks kind of a Vestal with the flowers for a „ half- god „ Cesare. Then after – it was terrific, this slapping himself like a boxer, to get angry before the fight ( „ Fightclub“, oh I like this movie!) – what a new sight on himself – and losing his cravat and jacket, after the fight with a snake - oh , this shooting and jerking of fear- incredible realistic , artless and touching… ( Can´t resist – want to jump onstage and comfort him after that! I shot with the real gun some times as I was very young and that was an really shitty feeling. But I was the first one by the assemble the gun, very accurate. Though, my father wasn´t satisfied with me.))) Then – have you noticed ? He is going to throw the cadaver – what a masculine, confident and tired steps….Sesto looked anyway taller and stronger … The almost petrified for fear after L ´aure che spira he leaves for the torture - a blank dispair . And of course, the deathwatch at the body of Tolomeo- one of the most impressive scenes - how lost and desolate is he sitting there, after his heroic deeds, the tired and too soon matured young man.
I see, I must stop for a while.

carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 23:21

Again, this a performance thought through to the last detail. Including Sesto's walk. From timid babysteps on boy's shoes, with stiff knees, to a confident stride on military boots. And from a youngster scared of a Glock 9 mm to a killer with a bajonet on an M16, smeared with the blood of a dead foe. An example of how hatred can transform innocence to cruelty. But fortunately Sesto remains a Mensch, and he is shocked and appalled of his murderous act, nomatter how justified. There is a small addition to this character typical of Philippe, who wouldn't hurt a fly himself, and it is a nice touch.
The costume changes in every scene too. First the mama's boy in his dress suit, pressed and clean, hair neatly brushed. But more and more gets off or dirty or torn, it must have been quite a frantic changing of costumes behind the scenes! What is left shows a man who has grown up and done his duty as a son. In huge big combat boots that seem three sizes too big. :-)
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 23:29

Mr. Artaserse,

I'm so relieved to know that I was not the only one to notice Scholl's legs; I was beginning to worry that I was a bit of a perv ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd June 2012, 23:46

Wow, Caroline, I´m almost afraid of you knowledge! hide
I lacked the strenght as well and jammed my finger in addition ( notice, I´m violinist), but the wish to look like a very " man" was stronger - now, I ´d refuse just to try this fu**g act.

Artemis ,

don´t worry - you see, now we´re already two of the....perv.... whistle

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   Today at 22:24

Back to top Go down

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next