HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 15:19

"Grace is poured upon your lips" ... Naughty girl, Sjuli! devil You have just robbed me of a good night's sleep and I really need to be up very early tomorrow morning ...

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 18:20

SJuli

Oh, how beautiful words you choose!
I just hope, we can use them also without any " canonisation" - to express the minds about...you know.. the subject of..... inlove

Dear Pilar,

Allow me then to have my opinion, too !
Please, I also just try to speak here openly and honest about my point of view - it could be quite different to yours but nevertheless accepted . reverence

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 18:23

We need a date too, for the feast of Saint Philippus. Now, hazard would have that there is no feast yet on the 13 th of february...the 12th is taken, and so is the 14th ofcourse, but 13th is still left without a feast...

Even the Catholic Church has kept a space open for him!
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 18:26

carolineleiden

What about the non- catholic members of the forum? Do we have also some "spaces" open ? angel

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 18:42

Artemis, SJuli and JaRoWi: The problem I think lies with the use of the word "waste".

I personally do not think this South American project was his best work ever, but if he enjoyed doing it, then it was not a waste. Mrs Pluhar and L'Arpeggiata are extremely talented artists with a fresh view on all kinds of music. I really liked the title song, they actually made it sound all new. But the rest...hmmm...

Ach, it is not like his time here on Earth is already almost up (the canonization can wait), so he can afford to just do something he likes to do for fun in between the serious stuff.

Nobody has to er even can like everything he does, and indeed I don't. He is always a good singer nomatter what he does of course, just not all repertoire has my heart. But it is good he is peeking around the corner of what baroque has to offer him. It only broadens his development as an artist. Philippe's talent is not the kind you want to be limited.

JaRoWi: The non-catholics have the whole year open for him. smile Celebrate him each day if you like it! On Friday nights, include him in the Hashkivenu. That he too may be raised to life again the next day.
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 23:01

carolineleiden,

Quote :
We, the fans, we love Philou, and just like his mother, we love everything he does. But that is never really a help. .

OK, not all of us love "Philou" ( NO NO NO- please, not this name ! ) just like a mother, some of us have for him this kind of absolute admiration , which make it possible to love even just his being present on Earth, he is such a special creature- to spread the happiness, like ripe cherries - so I would love also a gamut from his bocca soavissima...

SJuli,
Thanks for the inspiration.

drunk

Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 23:15

Mr. Artaserse,

Mea culpa! Mea culpa maxima! It's me who always refers to him as "Philou" - but it's only a very common (and affectionate) French diminutive for Philippe - honest!

A.

Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 23:32

Artemis,

I know! ))) Vestri crimen sum indulgeo ! angel

SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   2nd July 2012, 23:42

Artaserse wrote:

SJuli,
Thanks for the inspiration.

Glad to be of service! wink
Back to top Go down
http://napijaroussky.wordpress.com/
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd July 2012, 00:43

I feel a bit guilty about ruining the night's rest for Artemis and Artaserse, so I rather share my other, more peaceful liturgical quote that frequently comes to my mind when I listen to arias like "Dove sei, amato bene", "Cara, la dolce fiamma" or "Descende, o caeli vox". (Other Catholic forum members might give me a virtual kick in the ankle for this, as it was originally written about the Holy Ghost.)

Consolator optime,
dulcis hospes animae,
dulce refrigerium.

In labore requies,
in aestu temperies,
in fletu solatium.

In English:

Greatest comforter,
sweet guest of the soul,
sweet consolation.

In labor, rest,
in heat, temperance,
in tears, solace.

And now I'm absolutely off-topic again, sorry, dear admins...
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd July 2012, 00:50

Dear Julia!

This is a balm for the lovesick insomniacs [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm listening this cantata in loop, so please Tender hearts don't listen to it unless you want to spend the whole night longing...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good night [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd July 2012, 20:48

Just to remember..... grin

Spoiler:

Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd July 2012, 21:02

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is a great picture I didn't know form what opera was...So he actually incarnated Ptolomeo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I guess there is no record of it...

Thanks Mr. Artserse [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th July 2012, 07:36

Oh yes, Pilarddcc, I would....sin grin for this recording! SOS

*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th August 2012, 23:44

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   19th September 2012, 21:53

Has someone visited also Sommerfestspiele?

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   20th September 2012, 08:43

Yes, Jana, I was in Salzburg in August.
If I could write in English with some ease, write my impressions of "Giulio Cesare" very broadly, do not be in any doubt, but the language is to me an insurmountable obstacle. blush
On the other hand, almost everything said in the representations of Pentecost and I would only repeat some things have already been said.
But, when reading the review you link, I would point out, in very short sentences for not much mistaken, what I felt at that moment.
Tonight I will write something here. kiss
Back to top Go down
SJuli

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   20th September 2012, 19:16

A Hungarian review from Miklós Fáy:

"Perhaps I should give up this habit, but it's not easy. I'm still in a fan mood, my heart beats faster if I only see Andreas Scholl on the street, a prepossessing sight in the rain as he walks about instead of taking care of his voice. Perhaps he visited the grave of Mozart's father (as I did), trousers with side pockets, raincoat, baseball cap, like a determined hiker with glasses. Meanwhile, he is the world's best known countertenor singer, and I don't say the best only because there are a lot of them. Two more of that lot is on stage next day, Philippe Jaroussky and Christophe Dumaux, both in fantastic form, Jaroussky perhaps being in his prime right now. Oh well, we are not at home but at the center of the summer music world, in Salzburg.

Still, my first impression is not that I've never seen such wonders. What rather hits me is that it's useless being so enthusiastic about someone who isn't enthusiastic about his audience in turn. I don't feel that Scholl does everything for the production, he is present, but only half-heartedly. And half-voiced. I suddenly remember the Metropolitan broadcast, another Handel opera, not Julius Caesar, but Andreas Scholl was also paler there than he should have been, the countertenor voice wears out faster than other voice types, perhaps we are really past the best years.

But this somewhat uncomfortable feeling is already the second one, the first hit me at the overture. It doesn't bite, doesn't live, the music doesn't pull you into the story, the way the Il giardino armonico plays it. All in spite of really great musicians sitting in the pit, the lutenist lady, the recorder player, the harpsichordist. But Giovanni Antonini breaks with the tradition that playing on period instruments is livelier, thinner, but more living than on modern instruments. He makes it slow, very slow, even slower. He tortures his singers, Anne Sophie von Otter, who sings Cornelia, and whose hair meanwhile turned white (literally, not figuratively), doesn't know what to make of this tempo, she is a singer with great experience but now she is done for, her suffering is boring. In spite of the stage directors efforts, who clearly wanted to make a show of the scene, while singing, Von Otter has to got down on all fours and put her head in the mouth of a crocodile. Should we feel something here, apart from that the french film „The Minister”, which has been played in the movies just now, has the same first scene?

OK, I feel something. Even seeing only the poster, I already wondered if the two directors, Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier had seen „Serse” in Budapest, staged by Balázs Kovalik. Because the visual atmosphere is similar, Cleopatra (Cecilia Bartoli) leaves the stage riding on a rocket, but it's only a toy, you can see the ropes on which it's hanged, like with the airplane here, on which Serse arrives.

The question is not a question any more when one sees the production, it's clear that they were inspired by us, there is electric car, bombing, petrol can, dancing soldiers, only one thing is missing: the greater concept. What in this production is not from Kovalik, that's either from Peter Sellars, or simply pathetic. If they sing about snakes, they project a snake onto the background. The same pair has directed three other productions with Bartoli's lead, Rossini's Otello, where a little chap smeared with black shoe polish plays the Moor of Venice, I have seen it on internet, it's a similarly „great” work. Life must be nice and comfortable with them [the directors], that's why they were chosen for the task by the star of the production. And, for the time being, it's hard to argue with Bartoli.

It's clear that the new leaders of Salzburg are determined Bartoli friends on principle, which is both understandable and inevitable. Salzburg once was a battlefield of great conductors, but the last five years seemed to be all about Anna Netrebko being pregnant or not, being there or not, a suitable role been found for her or not. This way it's really difficult to direct a two months long festival, there always have to be a second alternative – and maybe that's what Cecilia Bartoli is, who from this year is the artistic director of the Pentecost Festival. For me, it's suspicious that it might not be possible to be an artistic director based on friendships, or, at least, it's easy to fall into the trap of sacrificing quality for friendly atmosphere at rehearsals, for the smiles of grateful collegues – but this only time will tell. Next year there will be many possibilities for neck-breaking, Norma and the soprano solo of the German Requiem of Brahms, but maybe Cecilia Bartoli is already flying so high that it's impossible to fall down from there.

Concerning the musical solutions of Julius Caesar, there is no reason to falling down for her: although the upper register of the voice is not beautiful any more, the singing is still full of life, her being on stage is full of music, every gesture, even the unintentional ones, is backed by the music, each repetition is a new adventure in the arias. Time does its work and it's harder and harder to create the illusion of Cleopatra, but it's only the sight. The singing, for me and for most of others, is undisputable, more important than the voice is the natural closeness to music, originality and intensity. Bartoli, no need to say, is a unique and unrepeatable phenomenon in music.

But she should take care and create situations that have a natural tension in them, instead of the excitement of being a soprano she should seek, find, and resolve theatrical excitements. Julius Caesar, in spite of all its greatness and exclusivity, is a disappointment, because the whole production is working against the piece; instead of an opera, it's a row of arias and recitatives from half past six till midnight, lost even deeper in the sheer longness of the piece. Instead of a break-through, the lesson is: with this calibre of cast it's a form of art itself that they managed to be so boring.

There are some good news too to finish with, as the Budapest Serse and the Salzburg Julius Caesar is similar in one more thing: at the end of the cast list there is the same name, that of Péter Kálmán. Whithout an aria in this piece, but he is present, as he was in July in La bohème, and concerning how long ago did a Hungarian singer participate in a big Salzburg production, we can be pleased simply with his being there. We will see the rest."
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   20th September 2012, 19:49

Rosamunda

Oh please, write your review ; it´s always so exciting to share such great experiences! friends

SJuli

Thank you for your generous sharing this big translating work! reverence

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   8th October 2012, 10:28

Mr. Artaserse should file a claim for "droits d'auteur" - the English National Opera has come up with ... a "Sesta"!!

A.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   17th October 2012, 08:30

I don't know if any members are watching the Metropolitan Opera Live in HD screenings. The last broadcast of the season (in April) will be "Giulio Cesare". From the programme photos, it looks as though the Met. has borrowed the Glyndebourne British Raj/Bollywood production.

Alice Coote will be singing Sesto. Although Philippe has spoiled me forever for mezzos in pants (at least as far as Sesto is concerned), it will be interesting to see what Alice makes of the rôle - she's a great artist who deserves to be better known than she is.

Christophe Dumaux will be singing Tolomeo (again!) and Cesare and Cleopatra will be sung by David Daniels and Nathalie Dessay.

A.
Back to top Go down
AlexanderBendo

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   12th May 2013, 17:41

So, then.... I have here a little draft for the future grande production of this opera . grin
As you still know , some personaggi will be and act a bit different as usual. Ok, it seem to become a way weird , but...why not ?
Comments are very welcome.

Spoiler:

*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th April 2014, 11:42

There exist one video where Philippe is to see as he was Tolomeo in Nancy with M.-N. Lemieux as Cesare!!!! clapping  horseman 

At the very end while curtain call and applause!!!! Now, we have an real evidence of this event!

Many thanks to Coder for sharing ! flowers

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th April 2014, 13:02

Wow, you never knows maybe in the future another video appears with Philippe singing Ptolomeo's part!! Let's hope!! Thanks a lot for sharing  flowers 
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th April 2014, 14:31

He, he another Raj-style production complete with solar topees!   I think M-N L would be a great Cesare.   Strange that there is no sign of Tolomeo during "Va tacito" though; isn't the point of this aria - at least partly - for Cesare to show Tolomeo who's boss?   wink 

Thanks Jana!  give rose 

A.
Back to top Go down
*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th April 2014, 15:35

Pilarddcc

Oh yes, I hope there would be some more pieces of this rarity !!!  bow 

Artemis

Agree, the production was ...similar, but we had  2007! And maybe Tolomeo was there  too conceited to be just "a part" of Cesare´s performance and left immediately after his recitativo ( at the very beginnig of this video)?  king 

M-m Lemieux is great in each role, no doubt! And I´d prefer her or M-m Connoly as Cesare to Mr. Zazzo, for example, who was literally an very pale performer.....  cool girl

Here the rare view a bit closer..... inlove 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th April 2014, 17:23

Jana,

I didn't care for the Paris "Cesare" very much either (except for Christophe Dumaux as Tolomeo, of course). Sarah Connolly is the cat's pyjamas and I'm looking forward to seeing her as "Ariodante" in July ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   Today at 22:21

Back to top Go down

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5