HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog inUsergroups

Welcome, Bienvenu, Benvenuto, Willkommen, Witamy, Добро пожаловать !

Share | 

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 15:10

PJ's boots were an improvement over the little boy shoes....I think he should wear them more often.As JaRoWi knows I do not like his regular black pointy shoes. I saw the ARTE production finally and I wish I could record it to a disc but I am SO bad at this! Also I jammed 2 cd's in my mac book drive. But this is an opera that deserves a professionally made DVD and I would be in line to buy it. Artemis's great review refers to booing at Dumaux, but I really think it was just getting carried away by his evil character....It is also interesting to note that the way we hear the singers has a lot to do with where we sit. Where I was, Scholl's voice was a little lost except in a few instances, like the sustained note in Aure....But his presence and physique were impressive. And Bartoli's playfulness was so charming!!!She looks like she is really enjoying herself! flowers Thanks to all for their interesting reviews and opinions. And glad we all loved our Sesto. Yummy attack!
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 15:44

carolineleiden wrote:
Rosamunda, let's be fair: Dumeaux is a fine example of a masculine rrrrrrrrrr specimen. Just a bit too skinny to my taste, but otherwise I cannot say anything than that his physique is immaculate. And skinny can be taken care of very easily with some good cooking, of course. Get him on a diet of chocolate mousse and foie gras, with enough booze to complement it and he'll have gordito's like Philippe within three months. Laughing

Dear Carolina, I feel that this issue you stay completely on the surface.
I'm not talking about a more or less shaped sixpack, or a few pounds made with chocolate and wine. Dumaux is a perfect male in his style, elastic, energetic, with a strange voice peculiar and amazing coloratura.
But ... Philip goes far beyond, with its sweet overweight and sometimes, her movements a little clumsy. None of that matters, none of this is relevant. When he sings and acts out what he's singing, his eroticism reaches a voltage so unexpected, so innocent initially, that viewers are taken by surprise and have no defense. In this area I think there are very few singers who can overshadow him.
I think we should look for the reasons for his fascination in something other than a body fitness.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 19:05

Tuffy, black pointy shoes are the coolest footwear imaginable!

Rosamunda: He is not trying to be erotic. (He is in a relationship, so no need for that.) But he is very empathic and he shows every emotion he feels when he sings an aria, everything the composer wants you to feel, (which makes him the good actor he is, though it takes him a little more work and time to flick the switch than regular actors, but he always gets there in the end), and that feels exposed, open, vulnerable, almost naked, and then the spectators brain makes a wrong association with eroticism, which is also exposing, open and inviting. But it is a mistake not to separate the singer from the man. They are two different people, and as well as we all think we know the one, and almost take posession of it, like he was a thing, a machine, a toyboy, we know absolutely nothing about the other. The first is just the image he chooses to show, but the other is still owned only by himself.

That should be respected, and that is why I deliberately stay on the surface and make jokes.
Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 20:40

It seems we are on our way to creating a new topic (apart from the physical virtues of certain singers), I'd call the new topic : Ähem "extraordinary opera productions"

Vivaldi,
here is my part.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

grin
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 21:15

Duffy,

Hell's teeth! The things a jobbing opera singer has to do these days to earn an honest crust! Can't believe that this has been out in ether since 2010 and nobody has taken advantage of the comments section; perhaps they were stunned into cyber silence ...

A.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 21:24

Caroline.
We are maintaining a dialogue of the deaf. I think I speak of a thing and you another. I think not reach any agreement.
You say:
"He is not trying to be erotic. (He is in a relationship, so no need for that.) "

And that has to do something with what I say?. Do you think what you've written is a valid argumentation to convince me that Philippe does not radiate a strong eroticism?. It seems a completely vacuous reasoning.

Having that ability to subjugate others is not a totally voluntary act (if it were, it would be artificial and explicit and lose much of its effectiveness) is a quality that some people have, just the way they are. Without any intention.

Philippe possesses this quality in a very high degree, do you believe or not.

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 21:52

Tuffy,

As far as Dumeaux is concerned: I recommend the CD "O Solitude" of Andreas Scholl,
there are parts with Dumeaux, wonderful.

I liked the sandals, and don't forget the socks....but shirt or no shirt, I can't help
myself, I had the impression I saw a butterfly hatch that night. bravo!
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 23:04

carolineleiden,

to be in a relationship has nothing to do with " no need" to be attractive. wink

I can hardly believe, you wouldn´t want to be " only and one" for your mate, but it doesn´t means running around with curlers and housecoat to scary the other men ( and women) on the street and to show, you ´re already engaged . Laughing
Quote :
He is not trying to be erotic.

He neither try nor need to do it.

Rosamunda,

I´d say, he radiate happiness to live his music and happy people are attractive- whether erotically for any sights or not so much for the other- tastes are different.

In this scene we ´re talking about I haven´t seen any kind of erotism at all- I smelled incredible desperate braveness at the border to panic despair. And I felt the great courage of the very human artist to show all this so uncovered and pure.

*JaRoWi1647*
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   3rd June 2012, 23:38

There exist one very piercing phrase by the Russian bard Wladimir Wysozky.

Quote :
Поэты ходят пятками по лезвию ножа
И режут в кровь свои босые души.

I ´ll try to translate, but it´s really difficult, sorry.

Poets are walking on the knife-blades
And carve to blood their barefooted souls.

That´s exactly about.

Artaserse give heart

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 01:02

I must admit I found nothing erotic in this performance. Jaroussky's acting was heartbreaking and breathtaking. He was Sesto. And Von Otter was Cornelia...I felt the fear, the pain, the despair, the rage, the love between mother and son, everything. Having lost my father just after my teens to cancer and having to grow up overnight myself, at moments he brought tears to my eyes...That's a great accomplishment for singers, who, after all, aren't professional actors (I suspect he's got acting lessons thought, his acting skills have improved staggeringly).
And-allthought we seem to forget it these days-that is the purpose of all performing arts as defined 2400 years ago:
Aristotle's Definition of Tragedy: “Tragedy, then, is an imitation of an action that is serious, complete, and of a certain magnitude; in language embellished with each kind of artistic ornament, the several kinds being found in separate parts of the play; in the form of action, not of narrative; with incidents arousing pity and fear, wherewith to accomplish its katharsis of such emotions. . . . Every Tragedy, therefore, must have six parts, which parts determine its quality—namely, Plot, Characters, Diction, Thought, Spectacle, Melody.”
The end of the tragedy is a katharsis (purgation, cleansing) of the tragic emotions of pity and fear. Katharsis is another Aristotelian term that has generated considerable debate. The word means “purging,” and Aristotle seems to be employing a medical metaphor—tragedy arouses the emotions of pity and fear in order to purge away their excess, to reduce these passions to a healthy, balanced proportion. Aristotle also talks of the “pleasure” that is proper to tragedy, apparently meaning the aesthetic pleasure one gets from contemplating the pity and fear that are aroused through an intricately constructed work of art.
For more information: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 01:14

OMG I didn't received the last page and a half of updates on this topic, I almost missed the whole thing!!!

I don't particularly like the setting. Not the whole thing but some of the scenes are quite gross. I truly prefer something more nuanced and not so phalic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] In V'adoro pupille I was so shocked tahat I couldn't concentrate on the music...

Concerning Scholl's beautiful body [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I must be also a pervert because I find him very handsome and athletic. I should say that I always considered him as kind of "priest" type [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So watching him in his underwear was like I were blind before!!

About Philippe........No words, he was amazing as usual and he is such a great actor, it's very difficult to incarnate a teen without being ridiculous and he did it so so plausible!!

About the efects Philippe's presence cause in his audience, I'm not an objective viewer but I get what Rosamunda is trying to say. It's not about eroticism in this particular case, it's about how he always seduces us with everything he does (if I am not wrong). He has such a strong presence and such a touching and amazing voice that he actually touches you very deeply. If you keep listening to him you will probably became like an addict, it's like being exposed to a very powerful phenomenon, you can't resist!

For me it is like that [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 07:34

A pedant speaks ...

Could some of you please learn to spell Christophe Dumaux's name correctly? It's "maux", not "meaux"; although the divine Christophe is undoubtedly a hottie, he has nothing to do with mustard!

A.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 09:08

Dear all:
Artaserse: Exactly!.
JaRoWi: Beautiful quotes. Tragic and poetic description of Sesto-Philippe.
Sonia2: Totally agree, I never meant anything else.
Pilarddcc: Thanks for trying.

Definitely the fault of my horrible English-Google and I should be careful not to write so much if I can not use the language well.

I NEVER said that Philip sheds his eroticism in THESE SCENES, and have written several comments about your wonderful and heartbreaking interpretation of Sesto.

I started talking about this when I commented on the video Dumaux´s (Giasone) that had linked Vivaldi:

Vivaldi wrote:
so much excitement about PJ's bare chest....What do you say about this wink

think secret shock

A THIS is what I have always referred to (and if anyone goes back, you will see clearly) and I would repeat many times as necessary.

I hate misunderstanding and I apologize for having caused many mistake.

Artemis: I think I've always written well.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 09:45

Rosamunda,

Don't worry - I've never had any problems in understanding EXACTLY what you mean (even though I am not a great fan of Google Translate!) and I only wish I could express myself so well in Spanish.

And yes, you are NOT one of the culprits re the spelling of Christophe's name. Therefore, I send you flowers

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 10:42

Rosamunda:
now I understand you. Thx for clearing that up. If only I spoke spanish....

Artemis:
sorry about Christophe. I did not know, saw both versions on the web. Thx for teaching us. Not pedant. Just right. smile How are we going to learn anything if no one tells us what is wrong or right?
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 10:45

Artaserse wrote:
carolineleiden,

to be in a relationship has nothing to do with " no need" to be attractive. wink

Attractive is one thing, erotic is another. wink They overlap, but are not identical. I am erotic for my mate only, but attractive for the rest of the world. (Or at least I hope so....)
Back to top Go down
bpidouxl

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 18:10

No one can be sexy with socks ... Help, which is the costume designer? That's a wicked person, that's for sure...
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 18:23

Sesto is a boy. He is not supposed to be sexy. He is supposed to be a bewildered child. So the costume designer did a great job to help the story along, for all the parts. Even with Cleopatra and her leather attire.... she was the sexiest woman in all antiquity, along with Helena of Troy.

But men look proposterous in socks and sandals, I give you that.

Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 18:27

Duffy wrote:

Tuffy,

As far as Dumeaux is concerned: I recommend the CD "O Solitude" of Andreas Scholl,
there are parts with Dumeaux, wonderful.

I liked the sandals, and don't forget the socks....but shirt or no shirt, I can't help
myself, I had the impression I saw a butterfly hatch that night. bravo!

Duffy, I bow to your opinion since I just saw the video of Dumaux "Delizie contenti" which is wow. Big wow. PJ was like a butterfly emerging from his overprotected cocoon. As a matter of fact, the last syllable of "Svegliatevi nel core" and because of the stop in the t of "vendetta" came out almost as a sob.....SO POIGNANT !!!!Beside the point, I will listen to "O Solitude". I do want to hear Dumaux with an open mind..or ear.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 22:37

Tuffy, me also I was thrilled much this small desperate sob.
The broadcast of ARTE was a wonderful gift.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   4th June 2012, 22:49

I've bought Oh Solitude a week ago and I can confirm, Dumaux's voice is veeeeery beautiful, and of course Scholl. I love his "One charming night" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It's like taking a medicine, trying to desintoxicate ( in vain) myself from Philippe's influence!!
Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 01:58

Once Philippe is in yoursystem YOU ARE TOAST!!!!!trust me dear Pilar!!! But of course I will listen to O Solitude because I love beautiful music and I thought in the live opera Dumaux's voice did not shine...was rather harsh and had no projection. Again I was seated on the left in the 9th row, so maybe a lot was lost.....Same with Andreas who I love. embrace
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 06:53

Tuffy,

I was seated in Row 13, but centrally, and had no problems with hearing either Andreas or Christophe, so I guess it does depend on where you sit - although I am surprised as the Haus für Mozart is reputed to have an excellent acoustic.

By the way, I got royally toasted long ago. My family does not share this enthusiasm - in fact, they think I'm totally bonkers. I live in fear that they will get me sectioned under some kind of mental health act!!

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 09:18

I too am a voice in the wilderness when it comes to baroque...nobody minds Philippes voice, but the repertoire is not met with enthusiasm, to put it mildly.

My daughter went with me to the Händel programme at the Concertgebouw, but she later said that was to make sure I would not get lost along the way from Central Station Amsterdam to the building itself "because you have no smartphone". ...babygirl, I was already ASKING for directions when you hadn't even been born! smile

Back to top Go down
tuffy942

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 13:11

carolineleiden
Artemis

OMG seems we are indeed voices in the wilderness...Artemis, I think centrally seated you would get a more even resonance.....And I am glad you too are toast!!!! I hope Philippe knows how many he has royally toasted!!! happy Anyway I am glad you could see all from such a great place. I have seen this opera in several places, including Australia! But THIS is one I will never forget because of the charge of emotion!!
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 14:33

....continuing to think about this role ( and drink about the performer) , I´d guess , because this part was composed for a woman as a " breeches- role", Philippe hadn´t had to " tricher" a lot, otherwise than as in the castrato - roles.

My other thoughts were for one of the next productions: Sesto should be a girl in a breeches - role, disguised as a boy because of family - reasons : being only one heir ( heiress) , defender etc..... That would be a bomb - Sesto appears at the "lieto fine"as Sesta herself and all the society (audience as the first) is greatly surprised ( and very baroque charmed as well) ! So, please idea- copyright by Artaserse (c) Laughing

What would you say about this development of the story ?

bpidouxl

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 15:24

I agree, Sesto is young, but the costumes are modern, yet no child currently wears socks with sandals and short pants ... So there is something ridiculous to represent a young man (who is no longer a child) in this manner. The singer should still be helped by his suit and not hindered.
Amitiés
B.
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 15:51

Interesting fact - well, it's interesting to me, but maybe I should get out more - I've just been informed that Jochen Kowalski, who for years I have been referring to as a countertenor, does not regard himself as such - but as a natural male alto who does NOT use falsetto. Could this be one of the reasons that he is still going strong at 58? Anyone any ideas? By the way, I've never been entirely convinced that Michael Maniaci is a natural male soprano - Radu Marian, definitely is ...

Yeah, I know, I should get a life ...

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 16:09

Maniaci' s voice has broken to a certain extend, but not fully. Marians voice did not break at all, that is all I know.
Back to top Go down
Astarto

PostSubject: countertenors   5th June 2012, 16:26

Artemis, that "info" you are referring to is about 25 years old, and has long become an embarrassment to Mr. Kowalski himself. That was at a time when a "countertenor" was supposed to sound like Mr. Bowman. Kowalski has a different way of integrating his falsetto/head-voice with chest resonance, so he tried to express this verbally, but to claim he did not use falsetto was not perfectly correct ... he could have said that he uses his head voice, not unsupported falsetto. In any case the "natural", err, does not refer to anything about his anatomy. I still remember very vividly when I saw him say on TV to the moderator donkeys years ago, as if telling her a secret: "But I am not even a castrato actually!" That guy, who was the first CT in Germany who got really well known, with all the side effects..., really has humour!
I would say Mr Kowalski simply has an excellent way of handling his head voice and supporting it with the chest, in all the different registers with a round and soft tone, very similar to Mr. Jaroussky, and therefore is still, indeed, going very strong!

Artemis, I absolutely agree about Maniaci; to me, he sounds just like every countertenor. It must be a PR stunt about him being "different". Not better in any case, I would say. Yes, caroline, broken to a certain extend one could perhaps say. His speaking voice sounds very strange, but not like a boy´s.
While Marian obviously is one octave higher, no doubt about it.

Back to top Go down
Duffy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 16:52

bpidouxl,
to me the suit isn't more than a british school uniform, still in use today.....perhaps the tropics' version. I didn't have the impression the singer was hindered by anything, in contrary he has never been better.

Artaserse,
good idea. I'd be there to see it.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 16:56

Artaserse!!
A very, very baroque idea, totally of Spanish Golden Age (in which the change of sex was used throughout the literature), but I think it's very very little Roman.

But no matter!. We have seen the irresistible and very refined Cleopatra, beautiful and deadly as a curse, dressed tacky nightclub entertainer with two fake wigs, so why not the Sesta?.

Would you mind to demand a good costume production, if possibly to favor the artists?.
Would you mind require the Leiser-Caurier of shift, a less slow method of suicide than a crocodile swallow you when he are hungry?
Would you mind praying to the designers a set slightly less confusing?
Would you mind…?
Would you mind…?
Would you mind…?
If you agree to all this, I give my vote for the new production!
Forward Artaserse!

(Stop! You're not meant to Phillip sing this, right?, because her Sesto is COMPLETELY UNTOUCHABLE) warrior

Last edited by Rosamunda on 5th June 2012, 19:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 17:00

Modern clothing for an adolescent is no different than that for a grown up. So to give Sesto that look of innocence, they had to resort to an old fashioned style of clothing. When my father was young, this is what boys up to sixteen wore.
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 17:38

Artaserse!!
I forgot something important:
Do you mind if the staging is VERY VERY BEAUTIFUL?. EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL?

Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 19:34

Artaserse,

I'm really warming to this "Cesare" production of yours ...

Could we please have a full-blown baroque production - you know the sort of thing - flat drop-down sets, deus ex machina-type-contraption-thingies and lots of gorgeous cossies that fill up the whole stage - all Farinelli and feathers and stuff??

Do you have any particular singer in mind for Sesta?

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 5th June 2012, 20:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 19:55

Ladies, wow, thanks for your support , I ´m really happy to know, that my new production will be so passionately awaited and appeciated ! reverence

Don´t worry, Mr. Jaroussky wouldn´t be forced to play a girl palying a boy, no way!
Mr. Jaroussky will be Tolomeo! horseman

And yes- it will be kínd of an really baroque staging with a lot of contemporary details.
But no crocodiles , I promise! For Sesta - what about Isabel Leonard , for example?

More later.

Last edited by Artaserse on 5th June 2012, 19:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 19:56

Astarto,

Thanks for the info. You can't imagine the effect that Kowalski had in the West when he appeared in "Mitridate" - as you say, countertenors were supposed to sound like Bowman, complete with cathedral hoot!

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 20:23

Delphine Galou for Sesta.

I will get Philippe into shape for Tolomeo. A strict no carb and no booze diet, and I will throw him in the swimmingpool every day for twenty laps before breakfast. Then ten times around the block before lunch, fifty crunches before dinner and half an hour of bikram yoga before bedtime. And I will be mercyless, because my yoga teacher was mercyless for me but it did get my back in order again.
He will hate me, but he will thank me later. On stage, looking like a young God.

Arta can decide on the costume. He can take anything after three months of my torture, eh, treatment.
Back to top Go down
Pilarddcc

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 20:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Caroline, i think I should plan a trip/treatment with you! And in Amsterdam...hummm, it sounds better running there!
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 20:36

And to prove that I am not just a sadistic maniac, we will turn it into a group effort and I will do everything myself as well. Used to, just never all tortures together.. I remember screaming to my teacher in agony that the only reason I could bear all of this, was that she had gone through it herself, but that the only reason I did not beat the crap out of her was that I could not move my arms anymore.:-)
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 20:41

Saw Delphine Galou last night in a pastiche of "L'Olympiade" with the Venice Baroque Orchestra and she was fabulous. Definitely Sesta material ...

She replaced Franziska Gottwald who is on the CD set. And Jeremy Ovenden replaced Nicholas Phan. We were certainly not short-changed by the substitutions - in fact, if anything, we gained by them.

And yes, this does mean that I finally got to see the (in)famous Nicholas Spanos live but this is probably not the best place to discuss him!

A.
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 20:53

Artemis, I wanted to go but there was no train back the same nightand I had to work again today, so I did not go. Shame, because I still owe Nikos a present for taking action in that affair. But I did burn a candle for him Sunday.
Did it work?
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 21:18

Caroline,

Well, I guess your candle must have worked because he was fine. I tried to assess his performance as fairly as I could because, as you know, he comes with a lot of baggage! Nice enough voice and, I have to say, lovely coloratura. Not sure how good his projection is though - I could hear him well enough but friends further back said they couldn't - mind you, the PDB is a pretty cavernous place.

Pity you couldn't come - there were quite a lot of empty seats - unfortunately, these were the more expensive ones near to the platform where the performers could see them, which must be quite off-putting.

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 5th June 2012, 21:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 21:47

Delphine Galou as Sesta sound well , but in the new production she will be in love with Tolomeo, so we have to gauge all our "pro " and " contra" carefully! roll eyes

I ´d like to create there another love- story, more tragic and less " happyended" than the of Cesare- Cleopatra. The conflict between love and debt of honor could be an new strong line in this old story and a different sight as well.

rikkapijemy

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   5th June 2012, 22:20

I was also in Bozar yesterday night
Review Romina Basso has made me nostalgic of OrLando Furioso

I remember that this opera staging had also been criticized. It is really difficult to please everyone
Back to top Go down
carolineleiden

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   6th June 2012, 01:04

Arta:

You mean like "Caesar and Cleoptra"meets "Romeo and Juliet" ?

There's a blockbuster in the making! Some libretto! heat
Back to top Go down
Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   6th June 2012, 06:49

Sounds more like "Giulio Cesare" meets "Ernani" to me! Go, Mr. Artaserse, go! This is a production that just can't be missed!

A.

Back to top Go down
Artaserse

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   6th June 2012, 08:04

Remember, Sesto courtain himself in seraglio of Tolomeo - not only to be close to his mother but also because of the reason of his/her forbidden love. Quite baroque again : a girl disguised as a boy playing a boy disguised as a girl.

Tolomeo´s first comment as he faced Sesto and Cornelia is : - Oh che sembianze, Amore!
That´s the revealing- point , he recognizes Sesta and now, he must play the "tiranno barbaro" to hide their true feelings.

I ( for myself) have enough of only " baddie"- Tolomeo, almost always showed as one ugly psycho, bald and fat like an eunuch. Thank Mr. Dumaux we finally got one young and handsome Tolomeo, thank Mr. Jaroussky we´ll get some more - the sensitive and distressed one, suffered by the selfish power- hungry terror of his older sister Cleopatra and forced to accompany her as a bad boy of empire.

So, this project gets the code- name " Tolomeo and Sesto" with the only one love- aria "Belle dee di questo core". wink

Artemis

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   6th June 2012, 08:53

More, Mr. Artaserse, more! Where does the debt of honour come in? And are we to be given a tantalising glimpse of a "lieto fine" followed by a tragic end ("Ernani" again)? Do tell!

A.

Last edited by Artemis on 6th June 2012, 15:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo+!)
Back to top Go down
Rosamunda

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   6th June 2012, 09:00

Artaserse:

Before Philip-Sesto, I liked very much Isabel Leonard-Sesto (very beautiful voice, strong and very handsome, dressed in his blue tunic and his caligas), but after Philip-Sesto, only Philip-Sesto.

To Sesta …, while I think about another mezzo, I give my vote to Isabel.

Artaserse, the name of " Ptolemy and Sesto ", is the top of the ambiguity!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).   Today at 22:24

Back to top Go down

Giulio Cesare in Egitto ( Salzburger Pfingstfestspiele 2012).
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next